Photo Story – Armenia’s Institute of Botany
Armenia’s Institute of Botany, a division of the National Academy of Sciences, was created in 1938.
Collaborating with the Faculty of Biology of Yerevan State University, the institute deals with the plant world, plant evolution studies, the research of fossil plants, forestry studies, and other related issues.
Alla Hayrapetyan heads research into the embryo structures of pollen and spores.
The institute is comprised of three branches – taxonomy and geography of superior plants, ecological physiology of plants and geo-botany, and plant importation.
Entrance to arboretum
Botanical garden workers
Gohar Oganezova heads the division of plant anatomy
Anahit Ghoukasyan, the institute’s research secretary
Arboretum storage units
Arboretum staffers at work
One of the old greenhouses
Head of the Department of Geobotany and Ecological Physiology