"Happiness to be found inside"
Interview with the Transcendental Meditation Teacher Svetlana Galstyan
- Some psychologists say that by 2020 the whole world will be gripped by depression. Already quite a few people display extreme signs of depression. What can be done?
-Psychologists say that people use 3-5 % of their brain potential. The reason is that stresses and strains prevent total brain functioning, which results in wrong decisions and wrong actions causing suffering. The nature of life, however, is not suffering. The nature of life is to grow in happiness. Stresses, tiredness, strains, anxiety prevent us from enjoying the full value of life in ever-increasing fulfillment.
50 years ago Maharishi Mahesh Yogi brought to the world Transcendental Meditation, a simple, natural, effortless mental technique which, according to over 600 research studies carried out in 250 Universities and Research Institutes in 32 countries, document that this technique provides a state of rest which is 2-3 times as deep as the deepest sleep, while the mind is fully awake and alert within itself, just like an arrow drawn back on the bow. In this deep rest one experiences the unbounded field of creative intelligence, the totality of the Natural Law at the source of thought where thought is most powerful. A powerful thought leads to skill in action, which means one naturally, spontaneously, effortlessly preforms actions resulting in fulfillment, not suffering.
-Today the Internet spreads more and more negative energy to people, which causes stress even in people of normal psychological make-up. Why is the negative energy so rampant nowadays?
- Stess, stain, fatique hinder our evolution. Most people overwork nowadays and get tired, tiedness results in stress and strain. And then progress is endangered: progress can be safely secured when there is creativity. Anyone involved in creative work, no matter what kind of work it is, anyone using their full creative intelligence gets fulfillment. Monotonous work leads to fatique and dissatisfaction.If people are not satisfied with their acievements, they cannot be happy. At workplaces a stressful atmosphere is a common phenomenon, relationships between employers and empoyess, between colleagues are far from being harmonious. Schools, as a matter of fact, are very stressful places nowadays and one cannot turn a blind eye to it. Children are becoming victim to contemporary educational system. Total Knowledge, knowledge of the full range of consciousness is totally missing from contemporary educaton. Only through the experience of that state of restful alertnes, unboundedness, the most peaceful, silent state, yet a state in which the mind is fully awake within itself will it be possible to use one's full mental potentia. According to the brain expert Fred Travis, it is through this experience that people can become creative. It gives inexhaustible energy, makes us more dynamic. It is the basis of spontaneous right actions. There are 53 countries that have introduced TM in at least one school in their countries. In Brazil 38 000 schools are beginning to practice TM as part of their school routine. Meditating children display better academc progress and diplay decreased aggressive behaviour, there is less bullying, the atmosphere in schools becomes more friendly. In the UK, the academic progress of the Maharishi School was so outstanding that the school was granted a state-school status. Only through optimizing one's full brain potential will it be possible to accompish one's desires, gain ever-increasing achievemnets and live a progressive, fulfilling life.
- But will it be possible?:
- Yes! The technique that is offered is simple, efficient, and easy to learn. This is the uniqueness of TM.
It is different from other mental techniques, other types of meditations. When we have stresses, we do not make progress and when we do not grow, do not evolve, we get stuck in a vicious cycle. Non- progress means stagnation. Stress and strain are the diseases of the contemporary age. Moreover, it is now commonly acknowledged that they are the root cause of all diseases. There is a disease today called PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). According to statistics, the number of suicidal deaths by the veterans of the Afghanistan and Iran wars outnumbers those in the battlefield. This is a grave siruation. However, Transcendental Meditation helps them overcome this depression. And by the way, the gala events organized through David Lynch Foundation are a great contribution to help these and other at-risk people to come back to normal life. The latest event took place on December 3, in New York.
There is another disease called ADHD. We all see teachers keeping saying: 'Pay attention, don't get distracted.' But this is exactly what the child siffers from! Attention deficit, they cannot concentrate and they are constantly rebuked for not being able to focus on, to pay proper attention to their tasks. Again, research has shown that by practicing TM, children become more focused. TM normalizes blood pressure and reduces heart diseases. Well, all these good things can come if we meditate regularly and correctly twice a day.
- Well what can you offer to those who want to change their life for the better?
First of all, it is important to take proper rest. TM is the technique which will give you that deep state of rest. And then when we are deeply rested, our thinking becomes clearer, we grow in creativity, perception gets refined, the mind becomes broader, we enjoy better health, we grow in harmony and enjoy better realationships, negativity goes down. This technique, this particular form of meditation is not a religion, or self-suggestion, hypnosis or philosophy. People of all religious, cultural, educational, social backgrounds practice this techique and enjoy its full benefits. Anyone can take deep rest , experience fine states of thought, transcend its finest state and arriving at the source of thought. The ability to rest is inherent in the human nervous system. Deep rest dissolves deeply-rooted stresses, resulting in clearer thinking and better, healthy phisiology and harmonious relationships.
There is no precondition for learning TM. When one starts meditation, the physiological functioning becomes normal and one spontaneously develops better behaviour, bad habits go away, meditators as a rule give up smoking, drinking alcohol, prescribed and non-prescribed drugs, aggressive behaviour. Well, we do have all these negative forms of behaviour in our country, don't we?
I would like to add that meditators have a higher appreciation of their traditional values and their cultural heritage. It is a technique that improves all aspects of life.
- Over the past years many people have been complaining of the negativity in the atmosphere. This is sometimes claimed to be the result of poor social conditions. More and more people seem to be wearing unhappy expressions on their faces.
- It is natural to aspire to have more achievements, it is natural to make progress day by day. Transcendental Meditation is a powerful tool which allows us to live a a life in all progress.
Stresses and strains, anxieties block the way to more achievements, to more progress and they are spontaneously reduced by this effortless technique and then the full value of life is enjoyed in a spontaneous, natural manner.
We observe that everything in Creation grows, makes progress, evolves, right? This growth also involves human beings. However, a technique is needed when there are so many stresses in us and around us. A thirsty person needs water, thousands of volumes of knowledge about the usefulness of water will not help them. Transcendental Meditation is that technique which powerfully, easily, spontaneously takes our mind inside, to the field of inexhaustible intelligence, creativity, energy, orderliness, happiness. All the great people, be it religious leaders or philosophers, artists or scientists, not to the exclusion of folk wisdom reflected in proverbs and sayings, have always emphasized the importance of inner happiness.
It will not be an overstatement to say that Transcendental Meditation seems to work like a miracle besause by starting to pracrise it we also start to create our own surroundings. We become self-sufficient and at the same time create the kind of surroundings that are most conducive to our progress. By improving one’s quality of life, the surroundings become better. The bulb lit inside gives light to the surroundings. Only happy people can be compassionate and extend a helping hand to others; unhappy people are absorbed in their own unhappiness. We are all connected with each other. Physicists have proved that nothing in creation exists in isolation: everything influences everything else . We are responsible for all our actions, our thoughts. Wherever our attention goes to, that field gets enhanced. This is known to science as Attention Theory.
Through Transcendental Meditation and its advanced TM-Sidhi Program positivity grows. Moreover, through these programs a small number of people in Armenia, about 200, which is the square root of one 1% of the population in Armenia, can create peace, both inner and outer. It just takes 200 people doing Transcendental Meditation and its advanced TM-Sidhi Program, including Yogic Flying, together in one place, to create invincibility for the nation and secure its cultural integrity. The nation will be free of any negative influences, both internal and external. Hostile tendencies will get dissolved in the vicinity of such a group, enmity in the enemy will be destroyed. This is easy to do. Everyone should be made aware of this opportunity. There are so many people willing to help the nation to overcome negativity. They should be informed of this peace-creating Technology. The group should be created right away.
- So how is negative energy eliminated?
- To eliminate darkness light should be brought in.
- The arrow is drawn back in order to hit the target. Transcendental Meditation is a an effortless, natural unique technique which reduces stresses, the mind gets a state of deep rest at the source of thought , and with the experience of unboudedness at the source of thought, the infinite field of all intelligence and creativity, the mind comes out more fresh, more lively, more creative, more orderly, infused with the nature of Transcendental pure consciousness, which is a higher state of consciousness.
There is no room for suffering then. Suffering does not belong to life. The nature of life is to grow in happiness. And that is what Transcendental Meditation does. Maharishi’s Vedic Science and Technology is the complete Knowledge of the Natural Law for individual fulfillment, invincibility for the nation and world peace. Vedic Knowledge of consciousness is available in Armenia and through it Armenia can rise to Invincibility and radiate peace to the whole world. This should be implemented right away. Time does not wait for anyone.
Photo from S. Galstyan’s Facebook page